Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Oblivious to the fact that the 2nd Amendment is a civil right, (D) Jim Clyburn compares gun control to civil rights

House Assistant Democratic Leader Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) on Thursday compared the fight for comprehensive gun-control legislation to the civil-rights movement.

"I think about my own experiences in the '60s and a governor whom I will not name professed 'never'," he said. "In 1964, we started out with a comprehensive civil rights act, and by the time it got passed it was not near as comprehensive."

"But a year later voting came, three years later fair housing came, four years after that we outlawed discrimination in the public sector. I think the principles we heard here today will probably be in a very comprehensive bill -- and it may not pass, all of it, the first time out. But I am convinced that sooner or later we will have comprehensive legislation." ...
politico

No comments: